Friday, August 3, 2012

Internet Explorer 8 locks up when trying to install Windows Update Component

No matter what I did, the windows update component would not install.  If you don't install this, you can't scan for patches you need.

Here's how I fixed it.

There is a side option that says "More Options"  I clicked that and chose always trust.  I closed my browser and relaunched windows update.  This time it loaded just fine!

The next problem I ran into was when trying to select it to install the Microsoft update and not just windows update.  The Active X just kept crashing.  I had to turn off "Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks”.

To disable it go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced Tab -> Scroll down to “Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks”

Click ok and restart your browser.  Try to reload the Microsoft Update site, and this time it shouldn't crash.

Source:  Link

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis