Configure Gmail (Link)
Download Google Contacts -> Google Contacts
Click Tools -> Add-ons -> Click the "stary" thing beside the search box -> Click Install Add-on From File
Go Back in to the Add-ons and select Exetensions -> Select Options under Google Contacts
- Under General, Change Address Book backups to 1
- Under Advance, Change the working directory to somewhere in My Documents
- If your under Vista or Windows 7 there should be a Contacts folder in the user profile
- If your under XP, I would just create a new folder in My Documents
- Under Mapping, beside your account, select the drop down box and select my contacts
Drag the reload icon up to the tool bar and select done, click reload
You should now see a folder called Google-xxxxxx
Copy any local Contacts to that folder by dragging and dropping to it
- If you are doing this on a second computer, you may end up with duplicates. At some point, login to www.gmail.com and go to contacts. Once in contacts select More-> Find & Merge Duplicates
Close the Address book and go back to Thunderbird
Click Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> General -> Config Editor, Click that you'll be careful.
In the search box type ldap_2.servers
- What we are looking for are the .position -> type ldap_2.servers.*.position
- If you want to see all of the contact settings type ldap_2.servers.
- Locate ldap_2.servers.history.position -> Double Click -> change value to 3
- Locate ldap_2.servers.pab.position -> Double Click -> change value to 2
- If this doesn't work, look through the whole list and see if there are other contact folders
- The values have to be greater than 3 and can't be duplicated
This was done on two computers, one with Windows 7 and one with Windows XP.
I will add the calendar part in the future.